Monday, July 12, 2010

Moustached Babbler

Babblers are a vast assemblage of species and are still imperfectly understood, I think it was the traditional catch-all genus for species that cannot be conveniently allocated elsewhere. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this genus is in the process of being dismantled and we expect to see a number of splits coming.

Here is my new bird, Moustached Babbler Malacopteron magnirostre, a common resident of primary forest throughout Borneo. Babblers of this genus are usually found in family parties in the undergrowth or lower storey of  forest. They are shy little birds, never flying further than necessary and prefer to slip about in the thick undergrowth near the ground. Being active foliage gleaners and skulkers, taking their photographs is a real hair pulling affair.


This is my lifer from Tawau, making my photographed wild birds of Borneo count to #319.

No comments: